So I am getting kind of desperate to be honest. I, like, want to be done with my kitchen NOW... but I have to remember that good things come to those who wait. :) Alrighty, I am moving forward with my kitchen and I have added a few more touches, again, just a few. First, remember how my kitchen didn't have anything on top of the cupboards?
I wasn't sure if I wanted to add stuff on top or not because I wanted to go with a more modern feel and I was afraid that with adding stuff there it would get it all crowded and too traditional and I just did not know what to do. Well, to end my dilemma I decided that I should at least give it a try, put some things there just to see how I like them and if I don't like them then I can always take them down. So here's what I quickly put up there:
(you know what, the more I look at these pictures the more I want my cupboards to be a different color... and the more I look at that range hood the more I want it out...)
OK so I looked at that and I thought, "I kind of like it, but I definitely don't love it. The colors are all wrong and the placement has to change. Not sure about this." So I moved some things around, painted a few things, and this is what I came up with now (the current state of what the top of my cupboards is like):
OK from left to right, the twigs pot I already had, it was on the counter in the kitchen so I just moved it up. The white pitcher is a thrift store find which was actually a light sage but I spray painted it (still needs a glossy lacquer finish, will get to it). The Family word art I had on a shelf in the living room. The stainless steel frame I already had, I just added a picture of a little turquoise birdie that I printed myself (the image is a commercial use item). The bird cage was given to me by my sister-in-law, she was about to take it to the thrift store but I gladly took it off her hands. :) It was a rusted or worn green before. I cleaned it, primed it, painted it turquoise. And those 3 hurricanes I actually made myself! :) I love how they turned out! Here's a closer look at what they look like:
(and that's looking at them from the floor up, you can't really see the bottom part of these babies from down here) I filled these with things I already had around the house.
OK so what do you think of my newest little project? Is it a keeper? Or should I take everything down? I have to say that I do like how it looks but let me know your thoughts or suggestions! :)
Now I am going to show you how I made these. This idea is actually taken from an idea shared on Pinterest of DIY hurricanes. I just thought I HAD to try it myself.
OK, first I went to the thrift store and bought a few items that I stacked up there to see if they would work together and from what I could gather, they looked good. These are the different pieces I got from the thrift store except for one of them which I already owned, was from Tarjay (Target). :)
I then washed them all and they looked so sparkly clean afterwards!
Now it was time to assemble!
Using E6000 Glue, a multi-purpose adhesive with industrial strength which I got from True Value Hardware Store
I put glue on BOTH surfaces that I will be glueing together. I let them stand for about 5 minutes unattached still.
Then I went ahead and put both pieces together in standing position and pressed gently. I did this with each piece that I wanted stacked and glued until the whole hurricane is done. If you get any glue that comes out you can use acetone BEFORE it is cured and remove it.
I just kept stacking and glueing until I got these!
And there you have it! I am working on some other touches to add to my kitchen and to show you. Hope you come back soon and please let me know what you think! Thanks! :)